Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Rice and Almond, Chili crackers invented recipe

I started out with a 16 oz bag of wild rice. I have never tried making rice flour in my kitchen champ before, so I didn't know if it would work or not, but it did! Blend your rice to a powder. Mine was still a little bit grainy, but that's actually good. It makes the crackers more crunchy. I added chili powder, paprika, salt, and garlic powder, and Thyme and mixed it with the flour well. I tasted the flower to make sure the flavor was good.
I forgot to get a picture of making the almond paste, but I just put a cup of almond, and a around a cup of water in my blender, and then started to blend it, when it started to get thick, I started to add olive oil, about 3/4 cup worth. Blended it until smooth creamy texture was acheived. 


after I mixed the rice flour and the almond paste, I kneaded it a little more with my hands to make sure all ingredients were mixed well. The oil in the almond paste helps the crackers cook.
taste tester #1................she approved
taste tester #2..............despite the look on her face, she approved too, and they both came back for seconds :)
I rolled it out onto a cook sheet
I wanted circles, so I used a lid from my Thyme spice container..........
I made some squares too, for fun........
then I tossed them into the oven, and cooked them for 43 minutes at 325* F. 

The verdict? Well, the flavor is delicious, the cracker is a tiny bit dry and reminds me of Chicken feed, but I can't stop eating them, so I guess that's a good thing. I am going to try again tomorrow actually. The almonds are much better, and more healthy for you when you soak them overnight. I am going to soak my rice too, so its not so hard. I also want to try this recipe with finely ground rice flour, with no big grains to avoid the chicken feed texture. hehe Definitely a recipe to try, but there are a few tweaks that need to be taken care of :) I will post when its perfected! As far as these particular crackers, I am going to use them for salad garnishments, and for when I get snacky :)





















No comments:

Post a Comment